Learn About Our Project:
Our Final PayPal Total is $79,850!
What happens now? Funding after $2.5m will go into polishing the features and content we’ve already committed to. After that, any additional funds will go toward funding a Post-Launch Live Team that will continue developing additional features and content. First among them will be Cooperative Multiplayer, which will allow you and a friend to face-off against AI opponents.
Here’s what you can do to help!
1. Like, Share, and Retweet this video recapping our Kickstarter campaign for new folks. (Or if you're new here, watch this video!)
2. Take and share our “Which ‘Mech Are You?” quiz and post the results on Facebook and Twitter!
These efforts (along with the rest listed further down on this page) will continue to go towards Backer Mission points & Rewards until the close of this campaign.
Jordan Weisman, the creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades.
Don't have a credit card? PayPal is here for you! (Your contribution will still go towards the campaign's total funding level with regards to meeting our various funding goals.)
BATTLETECH is a turn-based, tactical 'Mech combat game for PC. (And Mac and Linux!)
Here's an EARLY in-engine visual exploration that our art team's been working on. It’s still work-in-progress, not final… but we just had to show you guys!
The BattleTech Universe is one of near-constant warfare and feudal political intrigue, where great noble houses vie for dominance of a vast region of space known as the Inner Sphere. It's a universe of flawed heroes, fallen empires and grey moral realities. Great families vie for supremacy, with alliances and betrayals constantly shifting the balance of power.
Our BATTLETECH game is set in the popular 3025 Succession Wars Era of the BattleTech Universe - often referred to as "Classic BattleTech".
The project is led by:
- Jordan Weisman, creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, Shadowrun, Crimson Skies, and more.
- Mike McCain, Creative Director of Harebrained Schemes' critically-acclaimed series of Shadowrun games.
- Mitch Gitelman, Producer of the classic MechCommander series of tactical 'Mech combat games.
Our studio, Harebrained Schemes, has delivered three successful Kickstarter campaigns - Shadowrun Returns / Dragonfall, Golem Arcana, and Shadowrun: Hong Kong - to rave reviews and very positive responses from our Kickstarter backers. Kickstarter allows our studio to remain independent and to focus on making games directly for our fans.
Because we love BattleTech, and there hasn't been a turn-based, classic BattleTech game on PC in over 20 years! Above all else, our goal with this project is to deliver an authentic BattleTech experience. Accomplishing that goal isn't just about designing great 'Mech combat - it's about fully realizing the BattleTech Universe, its characters, its factions, and its stories.
With your help! CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING STAGE 4 - PVP Multiplayer!
BATTLETECH is in development for PC, Mac, and Linux in English and will be delivered in standard and DRM-free versions on Steam, GoG, and Humble stores. The game will also be made available in German, French, and Russian (with localized text, and audio subtitles) in a post-launch update. Other platforms and languages may be announced later. BATTLETECH is expected to launch in early 2017.
BATTLETECH is set in a universe at perpetual war, fought by militarized factions utilizing huge, mechanized combat vehicles called BattleMechs.
Following centuries of space colonization and the rise of six Great Noble Houses, treachery undermined the Star League and toppled its First Lord. The rulers of the five remaining Houses each proclaimed themselves the new First Lord, and so the Succession Wars began - hundreds of years of mechanized armies, scavenged technology, and political machinations.
Now, in 3025, each faction is near its breaking point. An uneasy stalemate sets in as the Houses scrape to rebuild their holdings, reinforce their worlds, and restock their 'Mech armies. But the conflict continues as the nobility drives their agendas forward covertly through the use of mercenaries…
Whether maintained by a House army, or passed down within a MechWarrior family from generation to generation, BattleMechs reign supreme on the thirty-first century battlefield. These massive weapon platforms - ranging from seven to sixteen meters in height, and twenty to one hundred tons in weight - form the backbone of the Great Houses' interstellar armies.
Over the 200 years of the Succession Wars, attrition has eaten away at the resources of the Great Houses, and the number of working BattleMechs on the field has dwindled. By 3025, field-ready 'Mechs are a precious commodity, and keeping them running is a tactical necessity.
We're excited that Piranha Games, creators of MechWarrior Online, are sharing their incredible roster of Inner Sphere BattleMech models with us for BATTLETECH. Not only are their 'Mechs wonderfully detailed, using the same models adds to the continuity of the BattleTech Universe.
Because we’re an independent game studio with big dreams for an amazing game.
We know that to do 'Mech combat right will be a substantial investment - in fact, Harebrained Schemes has budgeted over a million dollars to self-fund the STAGE 1 SKIRMISH GAME (see below), and we've already started pre-production. We’re confident that we’ve scoped the project appropriately, and that we can deliver this version of the game without any Kickstarter support.
But, we also know that BattleTech isn't just about big stompy robots battling it out. There’s so much more we’d like to include in this game! A full single-player campaign. Full control of your career as a mercenary. PVP Multiplayer. That’s where you come in!
The scope of this project expands in the four major FUNDING STAGES below - so that no matter which funding level we attain, we’re sure to deliver a great game worthy of the BattleTech name. Help us co-fund BATTLETECH and let’s see how big this game can get!
Naturally, 'Mech combat is the cornerstone of any great BattleTech game, so that’s where we’re starting development. HBS is self-funding a complete 'Mech battlefield experience in the form of the STAGE 1 SKIRMISH GAME.
Our goal is to craft a combat system for BATTLETECH that’s the perfect blend of tactical depth, speed of play, and meaningful unit customization. As we did with our Shadowrun games, we intend to capture the *spirit* of the original tabletop rules, while designing the best PC game we can. That said, Shadowrun and BattleTech are very different games! For one thing, Shadowrunners like to hide behind cover, while ‘Mechs… squash cover. Expect turn-based combat in BattleTech to feel very different than a more cover-based combat system like Shadowrun’s
On the battlefield, you'll command a Lance of four 'Mechs in turn-based combat. We’d like a typical skirmish to be complete-able within about 30 minutes, without sacrificing the tactical depth that any BattleTech game demands. All of our systems will be designed with a “layered” approach in mind - surfacing the information you need for quick decision-making, while also allowing you to drill-down into detailed stats and unit management options.
Think of the STAGE 1 SKIRMISH GAME like a personal 'Mech command simulation - you’ll be able to set the parameters and difficulty level of each skirmish game, challenging yourself to defeat larger and larger AI-controlled enemy forces over more and more difficult terrain. Or, choose from a variety of pre-built combat encounters created by our design team.
>>> STAGE 1+ ADDITIONAL FUNDING GOALS (FUNDED!)
- $250,000 - Combined Arms: We'll add a healthy roster of non-'Mech AI opponents to the Base Skirmish Game including tanks, hovercraft, support vehicles and more. But be careful - even the lightest of combat vehicles can still wreck your 'Mechs under the right conditions.
- $400,000 - Expanded Mission Objectives: We'll add a variety of mission types to the Base Skirmish Game including Escort, Capture, Defend, and more.
- $500,000 - Expanded Environments: We'll add a wider variety of battlefield environments to the game, including time-of-day and atmospheric conditions that affect both movement and combat. Confront enemy forces in the low-visibility conditions of a blizzard on a frigid ice world, or carefully manage your heat in a battle across volcanic fields.
The BattleTech Universe is all about stories - of nobles and MechWarriors, fighting to protect their people and their homes. Of mercenaries, surviving from battle to battle in a war-torn universe. It’s a dynamic science fiction setting filled with intrigue and cutthroat politics that spans centuries. It’s a shared universe that has evolved over 30 years, in tabletop miniatures games and sourcebooks, novels, comics, and dozens of computer games. We want to honor that history and make this perennial game setting come to life with a killer single-player story campaign.
At the end of the day, the life of a mercenary is all about money: the money needed to repair the damage your 'Mechs took in combat, to pay your MechWarriors to keep fighting, and - if you’re lucky - the money to put towards buying new 'Mech chassis and weapon systems. Fortunately, 'Mech components salvaged from the battlefield can be both cheaper and better-performing than the oft-refurbished parts available for purchase.
>>> STAGE 2+ ADDITIONAL FUNDING GOALS (FUNDED!)
- $1,100,000 - Cinematic Transitions: We'll add short cutscenes for various events in game - such as deploying your forces to the battlefield - and for key moments in the single-player story.
- $1,200,000 - Player-Character Origin Stories: In BATTLETECH, you’ll create your own mercenary character to star in the story. If we hit this funding level, you'll be able to choose one of six origin stories for your mercenary commander's career. Are you the only heir of a once noble family that has since fallen from favor? The bastard child of a famous MechWarrior? You decide.
- $1,350,000 - Voice Acting: We'll record a cast of talented voice actors to act as your advisers, provide mission briefings, and record battlefield emotes. We’ll also add voice acting to the animatics for important moments in the story.
- $1,550,000 - 3D MechWarrior Portrait Customization: We'll build a complete 3D portrait customization system for you to customize the look of both your MechWarriors and your own Mercenary commander.
The STAGE 3 EXPANDED MERCENARY CAMPAIGN puts you in full control of your life as a Mercenary. The campaign becomes open-ended, allowing you to charter JumpShip transport for your mercenary outfit when needed - travel to various hot-zones across the Periphery and Inner Sphere. You’ll be able to choose your contracts and alliances, with both the Great Houses and other subfactions within the Inner Sphere.
Over time, the missions you choose to accept and the objectives competed in those missions will determine your reputation as a mercenary. Your reputation will affect the contracts and contract terms you may be offered in the future. But be wary: each Great House - and in some cases, each House representative - can have their own agendas, sometimes leading you into bad deals or deadly betrayals.
To support this open-ended Mercenary career, STAGE 3 adds a wide variety of “side-contracts” in addition to the story campaign, as well as a procedural contract-generation system to ensure that you always have fresh contracts available, wherever your Mercenary career may take you.
>>> STAGE 3+ ADDITIONAL FUNDING GOALS (FUNDED!)
- $2,000,000 - Customizable Home Base: As part of the ongoing campaign, you'll acquire a home base (likely in the form of a derelict DropShip) for your mercenary outfit to call home. At this funding level we'll also allow you to adjust its appearance, repair and upgrade its functionality, and grow and evolve your base as your outfit grows and evolves.
- $2,150,000 - Legendary 'Mech & MechWarriors: In addition to the game's standard 'Mechs and customizable, procedurally-generated MechWarriors, we'll include rare legendary 'Mechs to find, and rare hero MechWarriors to hire - including some famous characters from BattleTech history. Such legends may not stick around for long, but will be well worth hiring if you can afford them.
The neutral planet of Solaris VII is home to the Inner Sphere’s most famous gladiatorial 'Mech combat arenas. Here players can challenge each other to casual PvP battles or enter our matchmaking system to be matched against an appropriately experienced opponent.
Each Great House maintains an embassy and a namesake arena on Solaris VII and each has very different gameplay features - from the Roman-inspired Steiner Coliseum to the frozen glaciers of Davion’s Boreal Reach (or one of Davion’s many other holographic environs).
Tournaments and Leagues will reward the victor with various prizes and Leaderboard fame.
Jon Everist, composer for the award-winning Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut and Shadowrun: Hong Kong, is creating the music for BATTLETECH. We’re very excited to continue our collaboration with Jon and you can hear his first BattleTech tune in our Kickstarter video!
Instead of throwing a bunch of random tchotchkes into this campaign, we've focused our physical reward efforts on two really awesome reward levels that we know we can deliver (in addition to all the great digital rewards we've created.) This focus will allow us to devote more of your funding towards making the best BattleTech game we can!
To encourage everyone to get involved and share their passion for the BattleTech Universe, we've created a set of missions for you to collectively complete, listed below. Each mission accomplished by the Global BattleTech Community (GBC) earns a point. Earned points unlock cool content in the game and fun rewards for Backers (also listed below).
Note: For more details about the Final Week Bonus Missions, see this Kickstarter Update!
Posts to share & pages to Like/Follow: